Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Classroom Management Part 2

I think we first need to define what exactly class misbehavior is. I am unfortunately one of those people who can sometimes get annoyed if anything gets out of line and I feel sometimes like I need to micromanage (which I will have to live with if I want to be a teacher). Anyway I guess I would consider any action, habit, or interaction that a student or students perform that could cause a severe hinderance to the teaching or learning process could be misbehavior.

I would to start by developing a certain level of respect between you and the students that will put your relationship as one of trust and mutual respect and act upon that relationship. Also, I would expect that high schoolers and to the most degree middle schoolers would have some understanding that they are responsible for their own behavior and actions. I could start out the beginning of the year by stating my specific expectations and what I will allow and not allow. In that way, if anything occurs, I can refer to the guidelines and say that whoever was misbehaving had warning before. If a student is doing things that are hindering the learning process, they need to be immediately addressed. However I wouldn't be smart to do it in front of all their peers. I would probably instead try to do it on a personal level and try to understand what is going on in his or her life that he or she would act in the way they did. In some cases, it may be that the whole class has some sort of behavior problem. It would not be smart just stand at the front at them and ask what the problem is. Instead I would try to find a way to adjust how I do things to make it easier for them. If things continue to be a problem with individual students, I would find a way to get him or her away from the group as a whole so it wouldn't hinder their ability to learn (send them into the hall or office, tell them to go do an errand for me, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment